Self Introduction (Draft 2)

 Subject: Self Introduction (Draft 2)


Dear Professor Brad,

I am writing to introduce myself to you as a first-year civil engineering student in SIT in your effective communication class for this module. My name is Abdul Hakim and I am grateful to be able to attend this module to improve my communication skills.

I graduated from Ngee Ann Polytechnic in 2019 with a diploma in mechanical engineering, specializing in automotive technology and motorsports. I changed pathways and ventured into civil engineering as see more potential to work in this field as compared to mechanical engineering. Ultimately, I was looking towards the future and identifying jobs that would still be available in the market as technology and innovation improve for a better future, particularly in the transportation industry. In my opinion, I feel that in the field of civil engineering line, things are constantly changing or improving to build a better and more sustainable environment. 
Since both civil and mechanical engineering are in the field of engineering, my three years in polytechnic gave me basic engineering knowledge. As I change pathways, that knowledge acts as a backbone for my current studies, enabling me to catch up with the rest of my coursemates. 

One weakness that I have is that I will get nervous when I conduct presentations in front of a class or a group and lose the memory of the things that I was supposed to say. Being nervous also caused me to poorly articulate my presentations. Hence, I hope I will be able to improve on my presentation skills through different sets of learning materials and guidance throughout this module with my peers.

One strength that I have is that I am a good team player. I have always enjoyed working in groups as I can get to know more people, receive feedback instantly on my work, and comment on my groupmates' work for any areas of improvement. I feel that this helps to get the work done faster and efficiently. 

Apart from academic interests, I enjoy doing sports either alone or with my friends. I would never ever turn down a game of soccer as it is my favorite hobby. My long exposure to sports has helped shape my team playing traits and applying that outside sports especially in my studies, has allowed me to learn from one another and help each other. 

My target for this module is to gain more confidence whenever I step up in front of the class to conduct any sharing or presentation. Secondly, I would like to improve on my critical thinking skills as it could help me find the right choice of words to present to the audience and allow them to understand my presentation instead of presenting for the sake of it. I feel that the only way to grow and do better is to go through uncomfortable situations and the only way is up, never down. After the end of this module, I hope I can transition myself into a better person in front of an audience and present better than before.

Yours sincerely,

Hakim


Comments

Popular Posts